This guide seeks to only include information that has changed from normal to heroic versions of the instance and assumes that you are familiar with my normal mode Valiona & Theralion guide.
In Heroic Mode the Twilight Realm gains greater importance. The Twilight Realm now contains Twilight Sentries which spawn at regular intervals and which do periodic damage to the raid until killed. At least one member of your raid team must spend the larger part of the fight involved in the Twilight Realm killing sentries. Tanks also get a debuff that can shift them into the Twilight Realm, so 2 tanks (and tank-swapping) will be required.
Valiona grounded, Theralion airborne.
- Tank in the middle of the room.
- Raid should spread 8-10 yards.
- When a player is afflicted with Blackout debuff, raid should collapse before dispelling. All players need to be in range on heroic mode.
- Valiona still casts Devouring Flames. Move behind her head.
- Tanks will need to perform swaps periodically to avoid reaching 5 stacks of Twilight Realm.*
- When Theralion casts Dazzling Destruction, the dragons are about to swap.
- Player selected for the Twilight Realm needs to run into the Dazzling Destruction (pink swirly) to be transported to the Twilight Realm. All other players should avoid.
- Theralion will land in the center of the room beginning Phase Two.
*See Twilight Realm notes for exceptions.
- During initial pull, there is no way to gain entry into the Twilight Realm. Selected DPS will initially enter during Phase 2.
- After the first Phase 2, if DPS needs to re-enter the Twilight Realm, they can do so by “riding” with a tank into the Twilight Realm. To work, the tank must take 5 stacks of Twilight Realm, and the rogue must stand within 8 yards.
- You must avoid Dazzling Destruction or die.
Theralion grounded, Valiona airborne.
- The raid will be comprised of four groups: Solo Tank, Melee Group, Twilight Realm and Ranged.
- The active tank will remain solo throughout this phase. Note that the solo tank can change as Twilight Realm stacks need to be dropped.
- The melee group will include the current off-tank and 3 other players. If you don’t have sufficient melee, add healers until you reach this number.
- Twilight Realm player should be within the Twilight Realm or on the active tank.
- All other players should be spaced 10 yards apart.
- Players with Engulfing Magic at range should remain in place. Melee players will need to swap with a ranged member.
- Ranged players are solely responsible for avoiding Dazzling Flames.
- Players afflicted with Twilight Meteorite (purple arrow) must join the melee group before it explodes.
- Valiona will breathe fire into the room as on normal-mode for the transition to Phase One. Players needing to shift back to the Twilight Realm can return this way; however, it’s the most difficult method of doing so.
This will be the first time a player enters the Twilight Realm. Due to their survivability and mobility, it is highly suggested to use a rogue. If you do not have a rogue, consider classes with high burst damage and survival cooldowns first. If your group does not provide the right mix, you can send in 2 DPS for short periods or a combination of DPS and a healer to achieve the proper balance. The Twilight Realm is a difficult assignment, and you’ll definitely need a player who can self-correct.
- Avoid purple orbs (Unstable Twilight).
- Kill Twilight Sentries.
- When health is low, take a portal to get healed, and then return. Rinse and repeat.
- You must avoid Valiona’s fire or die.
- If you arrived “by mistake” leave immediately avoiding purple orbs!
New and/or updated abilities only. See the normal-mode guide if you need a refresher on standard abilities.
Valiona & Theralion
Twilight Shift: Debuff which stacks on the tank. When it reaches 5 stacks, the dragon casts Shifting Reality.
Shifting Reality: When cast, the target and all players within 8 yards take moderate damage and are transferred to the Twilight Realm.
Twilight Zone: A stacking debuff inflicted every 2 seconds that does light damage and increases shadow damage taken.
Unstable Twilight: Floating orbs which explode on contact causing moderate to heavy damage.
Tips for the Raid
Overall, the biggest change for many will be the addition of a second tank, and the amount of chatter that will be going on between Twilight Realm people and the tanks. Tanks and the Twilight Realm must coordinate the need for quick access back to the dark side, so try to keep vent clear, and pay attention to which tank is “safe!”
Phase One should be the easiest to master as the placement and “steps” are basically the same as on normal mode.
- Since Blackout hits for substantially more damage, players who can clear the debuff (mages, rogues, shadow priests) should run from the raid and activate their ability. (Just in case your special trick fails, you don’t want to take the raid down with you).
- Unlike normal mode, you do not want to eat Twilight Blasts. (Unless you can’t help it… like during a Blackout collapse).
There are some noticeable changes for Phase Two for those that followed a strategy similar to ours.
- If you’re assigned to range, you simply cannot stack with fellow players.
- If you don’t generally mark players, consider marking the “safe” tank. (note that this might change during the course of the phase).
- Twilight Realm players often need a “return trip” to the dark side during this phase. This requires one tank to reach 5 of Twilight Rift while the players needing a lift standing within 8 yards.
- Whatever you do, don’t cuddle the tank shifting players back to the Twilight Realm.
- When entering the Twilight Realm through Dazzling Destruction or Deep Breath, immediately leave the area to avoid being killed.
- Avoid Unstable Twilight orbs. They’ll eat your lunch. (Small purple orbs)
- Twilight orbs easily hide within Twilight Sentries, so be careful about hugging mobs.
- Twilight Sentries appear as purplish dragonkin. They’re not horribly hard to kill, but they can come out fast.
- Do not wait to “resurface” until you’re almost dead. The likelihood of hitting an orb or teleporting into someone with a bad effect can easily kill you.
- It’s a good idea to call out the location of the portal you plan to use to exit the Twilight Realm so a healer can reach you quickly.