My name is Windsoar, and I am more than an add-on dabbler, I’m the self-proscribed tester of every add-on, big or small, whether I’ll ever conceivably use it or not. I kid you not.
Just so you get the idea — unit frames (not raid frames, just plain ol’ player, target, target of target frames) I have used at one time:
- Perl Unit Frames
- X-Perl Unit Frames
- Pitbull 3
- Pitbull 4
- Stuf Unit Frames
- Shadowed Unit Frames
- Some ancient HUD that I can’t even remember the name of
This is one type of add-on for one specific purpose. It is not the other add-ons that I have sprinkled liberally throughout my /Interface folder, including bars, raid frames, threat meters, damage meters, cooldown timers, auction programs and quest assist.
This is where my favorite minion comes into play.
MMOUI Minion is a service provided by WoWinterface allowing you to update all your add-ons in one clean shot. Unlike Curse’s add-on download service, you don’t have to do the one-click update meaning you don’t have to sit and wait for the little bar to fill, it does not try to mine user data (non-account related information), or require other option turn offs such as “run all the time.”
Things to Keep In Mind
- MMOUI Minion is still in Beta (stable). This means weird bugs may arise — you could conceivably lose your entire add-on folder OR get unwanted add-ons downloaded. For the first month I used it, healbot was being downloaded (despite it never having graced my add-ons folder before on this system). I am writing about it now, because the couple of issues I was concerned about have already been ironed out. However, before you decide, you may want to browse the forums to see if the reported problems are things that you could deal with.
- Users of compilations may want to beware of the update all function — many times, UI developers will edit the code of add-ons to provide different functionality or “prettiness” which an automatic update may overwrite. However, those who run a few add-ons, but don’t like to bookmark/download updates one at a time, OR like myself, run (as of today’s count) 49 mods, may like a one shot update option nice, especially following patch day :)
- While Minion allows other websites to create modules, allowing you to browse and download from competing download sites (such as Curse) for add-ons, no such modules yet exist. Therefore, if more than 1/2 of your add-ons are hosted on Curse, it will still be faster for you to update there. I personally have found that all my add-on needs are provided by WoWInterface, but your experience may be different.
- If you use Curse and Minion you may discover you are downloading the same add-on (same version) twice. Add-on hosting sites do not require specific formatting for add-on version numbers. Add-on developers may have version 1.3 listed with curse, and no version number, or simply dev listed with Minion.
- I love my Minion ^.^ The above information is simply an attempt to present the cons that may arise if you have a different situation.
Download your own Minion!