Shannox is a hunter on patrol! Although he is not active when you enter Firelands, killing trash will cause him to appear with his two dogs, Rageface and Riplimb. You’ll know he’s been activated when he says:
Yes… I smell them too, Riplimb. Outsiders encroach on the Firelord’s private grounds. Find their trail, find them for me, that I may dispense punishment!
Type of Fight
There’s two major areas of concern during the fight: Tank debuffs and dog/trap management.
When you activate Shannox, he will patrol the Firelands along this route, and our group activates the encounter in this area:
- Shannox will need to be tanked in a relatively stable position. While we tend to place the tank on the road in normal-mode, you can choose any location that is clear.
- Riplimb needs to be tanked away from Shannox. (Do not exceed 60 yards for any reason).*
- Rageface randomly targets and damages players in the raid.
- When Shannox uses his ability Hurl Spear, Riplimb will play fetch and return the spear to Shannox. This is the only time Jagged Tear debuffs can be reset.
- Kill Rageface.
- DPS Shannox to 35%.
- Kill Riplimb.
- Kill Shannox.
Immolation Trap – Deals fire damage. Can affect player or dogs.
Crystal Prison Trap – Traps target in crystal block. Can be broken. Can affect player or dogs. Should be broken immediately if player becomes trapped.
Hurl Spear – Shannox hurls his spear at a location near Riplimb. When the spear lands, does moderate damage and activates molten fissures which explode (spiral of fire around spear). Riplimb will break off from combat, fetch the spear, and return it to Shannox.
- Frenzy – When the players defeat Riplimb or Rageface, Shannox enters a frenzy. This increases his Physical damage by 30% and attack speed by 30%. This effects stacks twice.
- Magma Rupture – Once Riplimb has been slain, Shannox drives his spear into the ground instead of hurling it. This attack inflicts moderate damage and increases the Fire damage taken for all players by 40% for 1 min. The strike also creates molten fissures (like during Hurl Spear).
Riplimb needs to be tanked.
- Limb Rip – Riplimb savagely bites his current target, inflicting 130% of normal melee damage and inflicting Jagged Tear.
- Jagged Tear – Stacking debuff that inflicts 3000 Physical damage every 3 sec. Can be reset if target is not hit by Riplimb for 30 seconds after Shannox casts Hurl Spear.
- Frenzied Devotion – Riplimb enters an unstoppable rage if he witnesses Shannox’s health reach 30%. This effect increases Riplimb’s damage dealt by 400%, attack speed by 200% and movement speed by 100%.
- Feeding Frenzy – Riplimb’s successful melee attacks increase his physical damage dealt by 5% for 20 sec. This effect stacks.
Rageface cannot be tanked. Target selection is random.
Face Rage – Rageface leaps at a random player, stunning and knocking them to the ground. Rageface begins to viciously maul the player, inflicting 8000 Physical damage every 0.5 sec. and the damage dealt increases over time. While Rageface mauls the player, he is 50% more susceptible to critical strikes. Rageface will continue the mauling until his target is dead, or he receives a single attack that deals at least 30, 000 damage.
Frenzied Devotion – Rageface enters an unstoppable rage if he witnesses Shannox’s health reach 30%. This effect increases Riplimb’s damage dealt by 400%, attack speed by 200% and movement speed by 100%.
Feeding Frenzy – Rageface’s successful melee attacks increase his physical damage dealt by 5% for 20 sec. This effect stacks.
Tips for the Raid
- Do not stack.
- Never stand in a trap.
- Raid should be loosely clumped between Shannox and Riplimb tank.
- Assign a DPS to pop Rageface in the snout (need a consistent 30k+ hit) to break Face Rage.
- Once Riplimb is killed, use your combat boost (TW/Hero/BL).
- Paladins may choose to bubble to clear out traps.
- Rogues can disable traps if needed. (Not suggested unless you’re desperate for a clear spot.)
Notes for Tanks
- Watch your debuffs! Jagged Tear must be reset consistently throughout the fight (although you can survive a hit and miss a couple of times without dooming the attempt).
- Traps can affect you too.
- Do not allow Shannox/Riplimb to exceed 60 yards of each other or bad stuff happens.
Dealing with Riplimb
- Riplimb can be slowed, but not snared.
- Trapping Riplimb in a crystal trap is the easiest way to reset debuffs. To do this is to have the Riplimb tank trap Riplimb immediately prior to Hurl Spear.
- If Riplimb is Wary or Crystal trap is not available, tank should kite him away from Hurl Spear impact point immediately before Hurl Spear.
Dealing with Rageface
- Rageface cannot be tanked and randomly targets players. You’re on your own kid.
- If your raid can handle the random damage, it can be beneficial to run Rageface through Immolation traps to clear the room and increase damage to the dog.
- If Rageface damage is getting to high, he can also be trapped in a Crystal trap.
Notes for Healers
- Due to various kiting issues, it is advisable to assign a primary healer to each tank.
- Be aware of the tanks debuffs, as they take increased damage until the reset.
- Raid-wide damage will be heaviest after Riplimb is killed.
*WoW Insider had a good general information post about Firelands trash.