It was the end of a weekly LFR run, and the group was huddled beside Deathwing’s cache waiting for dice to finish rolling. Out of the blue, one of the feral druids starts having a hissy cow about how the rogue (my friend incidentally) was a disgrace and should never ever come back to a LFR. Because it was my friend’s name that scrolled across the screen, I started reading:
– You are nothing but a DPS farmer.
– What’s a DPS farmer?
– If you don’t know, you’re just showing that you are one.
Well damn, thought I, maybe I’m a dps farmer too!
You see, once upon a time, there were farmers.
They tilled the fields and made sure yummy produce was available for the eating. And it was good.
Then some other things happened: industrialization, the birth of the computer, and WoW. (I’m sure there was some other stuff too, but you get the idea).
Early WoW explorers discovered a new type of farming: gold farming.
People got paid to play the game, rack up loots, make a lot of gold, and sell it to other players. Sure, they made people who played the game for fun and not profit a little hot under the collar, but it’s a job right?
Then, there was farming that could be enjoyed by all, such as AoE farming.
A great tool for the adventurer in need of cash.
But DPS farming? Is that where you go out and kill DPS? Get rid of your extraneous DPS by selling it to other DPS players who just don’t have enough?
Although I wish I’d captured some screenshots of the conversation in question, I’ll share what my fragmented memory can dredge up:
– You should give other players a chance to DPS.
– How come you can’t DPS?
– Because you’re just showing off. If you’d done less DPS, we wouldn’t look so bad.
– So I should contribute less DPS? And not do my job, why?
– But you weren’t doing your job. That’s why your DPS is so good.
– So, I was killing the boss, switching to adds, and staying out of bad stuff, and I wasn’t doing my job how?
– See, you’re just a DPS farmer. You shouldn’t even come to LFR and give the rest of us a chance.
– Wait. Because I did great DPS, didn’t cause a problem, and didn’t win any loot, I somehow made your LFR experience worse?
– Right. Because you’re a DPS farmer.
Apparently DPS farmers farm bosses. And it is bad.