Lissanna wrote a really great article last week about gearing your Restokin. Although gear sets are much closer, and many pieces can be shared between restoration and balance nowadays, there’s always a tension that arises when you’re trying to keep two sets in the best shape possible. While I didn’t want to repeat information that has already been covered with finesse, I did want to take a moment to talk about my own experiences with covering a dual role, and how it impacts gear decisions.
This is not a best-in-slot list. Slots that had restoration or balance specific items have been split in order to make the list easier to navigate. Items from the Throne of the Four Winds were excluded since they rely produce items with a [Random Enchantment] which cannot be easily categorized. As always, rely on your best judgement! Non-raid items can be found in the leveling and faction gear lists respectively.
Although this information is easily available elsewhere, I wanted it all on one page for my own convenience.
Arcanum of the Earthen Ring, The Earthen Ring
Arcanum of Hyjal, Guardians of Hyjal
Physical Damage: Strength
Physical Damage: Agility
Arcanum of the Ramkahen, Ramkahen
All shoulder enchants are available from the Therazane Faction. Like Sons of Hodir, a series of quest leads the player from hated to honored before opening up a series of daily quests.
Physical Damage: Strength
Physical Damage: Agility
In conjuction with crafting and heroics, reputation gear can be the best source of early raiding gear in the game. However, gaining reputation with a faction is usually done after your leveling is complete as your sport their tabard in various dungeons and attempt to worm your way into their favor long enough to earn a trinket or two. See the leveling gear guide for dungeon, crafting, and questing gear choices.
Data compiled from Wowhead.
- , Guardians of Hyjal
- , Therazane
Baradin’s Wardens (A) / Hellscream’s Reach (H)
Wildhammer Clan (A) / Dragonmaw Clan (H)
Slight variations in naming will be found between items, however, the items are the same. I have used the Horde names for this list.
Guardians of Hyjal
The Earthen Ring
This is not intended as a best-in-slot list, but merely a general listing of possible sources of caster gear for druids. I have included quest, dungeon (normal and heroic) and crafted pieces. Due to the buff provided by wearing leather, I have considered no other armor type. In order to get the most bang for your buck, try to prioritize the following stats:
- Restoration: Haste cap (if obtainable, otherwise start at Int) > Int > Haste > Crit >=Mastery > Spirit
- Balance: Hit (Until cap) > Int > Haste > Crit >=Mastery
Note: These values are currently based on L80 priorities since there is no firm consensus on 85 priorities. However, I anticipate minimal changes in the stat allocation.Regardless of spec, intellect is a major stat, so I have included it as a requirement when determining gear for this list. Any suggestions, additions, or corrections are appreciated. I may follow with a best in slot starter list if I have time before people begin raiding! However, in many cases, grabbing the best you can before your team starts in on raids is the only option, so I hope this listing makes finding the right places to quest and dungeon before raid day makes the transition smooth.
Data compiled from Wowhead.
- Cowl of Rebellion, Deadmines (H)
- Helm of Reorigination, Halls of Origination
- Hood of Lost Solitude, Twilight Highlands
- Wax-Filled Hood, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Hood of the Scorpion, Uldum
- Interrogator’s Hood, Deepholm
- Cowl of the Leptochelae, Shimmering Expanse
- Muffling Hood, Mount Hyjal
- Cursed Skardyn Vest, Grim Batol | Heroic
- Robes of the Loving Ursine, Deadmines (H)
- Heroic Vest of the Curious Visitor, Deadmines (H)
- Acid Eaten Vest, Blackrock Caverns
- Wrap of the Fallen City, Uldum
- Keegan’s Windswept Chestguard, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Chestguard of the Weak Scarab, Uldum
- Rippling Ooze Chestguard, Deepholm
- Pteropod Robes, Kelp’thar Forest (Horde version of item and quest)
- Leggings of the Lost Child, The Stonecore
- Woundseal Leggings, Twilight Highlands
- Substitute Gunner’s Leggings, Uldum
- Spore-Soaked Leggings, Deepholm
- Leftover Leggings, Kelp’thar Forest (Horde version of item and quest)
- Treegrip Pants, Mount Hyjal
- Treads of Revelation, Stormwind City (Horde version of item and quest)
- Sandals of Corrupted Water, Uldum
- Shattered Bond Treads, Deepholm
- Gulper Eel Sandals, Shimmering Expanse (Horde version of item and quest)
- Belt of Bloody Dreams, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Waistguard of Fallen Hearts, Uldum
- Press Gang Girdle, Deepholm
- Earthmender’s Sawfish Girdle, Shimmering Expanse
- Primal Force Girdle, Mount Hyjal (Horde version of item and quest)
- Gloves of Baleflame, Grim Batol
- Barrel-Belly Gauntlets, Twilight Highlands(Alliance Only)
- Fencer’s Nimblefingers, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Marshseeker Gloves, Uldum(Alliance Only)
- Rose-Grip Gloves, Uldum
- Firm Grips, Deepholm
- Gloves of Nurtured Truth, Mount Hyjal
- Gloves of Delicate Mixture, Abyssal Depths (Horde version of item and quest)
- Sea-Bending Gloves, Shimmering Expanse
- Spaulders of Rolling Incineration, Uldum
- Fire-Dodged Shoulderpads, Twilight Highlands
- Pristine Coyote Spaulders, Uldum
- Seafletcher Shoulderpads, Shimmering Expanse (Horde version of item and quest)
- Shoulderpads of Dead Memories, Mount Hyjal
- Smoot-Smacking Shoulderpads, Azshara(Horde Only)
- Soulgrowth Spaulders, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Oasis Bracers, Lost City of Tol’vir (N)
- Bracers of Caustic Purification, Blackrock Caverns (H)
- Heroic Armbands of Courage, Blackrock Caverns (H)
- Keg-Stealer Bracers, Twilight Highlands(Horde version of item and quest)
- Bracers of the Verdant Cradle, Uldum
- Burning Bind Bracers, Deepholm
- Bracers of the Vanquished God, Abyssal Depths
- Apocryphic Bindings, Mount Hyjal
- Harp Shell Wristguards, Shimmering Expanse (Horde version of item and quest)
- Charm of the Muse, Halls of Origination (N)
- Tauntka’s Necklace, City of Tol’vir | Heroic
- Heroic Pendant of the Keep, Shadowfang Keep (H)
- Eye of Despair, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Giltstone Necklace, Twilight Highlands
- Confiscated Dog Tags, Uldum
- Re-Wound Cogspring, Deepholm
- Brain-Connector Chain, Abyssal Depths(Horde only)
- Calcified Gizzard, Mount Hyjal?
- Hippolyte’s Glittering Necklace, Kelp’thar Forest
- Abandoned Dark Iron Ring, Grim Batol (N/H)
- Band of Life Energy, Halls of Origination | Heroic
- Band of Rays, Halls of Origination | Heroic
- Rose Quartz Band, The Stonecore
- Spirit Creeper Ring, City of Tol’vir | Heroic
- Veneficial Band, City of Tol’vir | Heroic
- Heroic Anthia’s Ring, Throne of the Tides (H)
- Heroic Lavishly Jeweled Ring, Deadmines (H)
- Ring of Frozen Rain, Vortex Pinnacle (H)
- Caliph’s Band, Vortex Pinnacle
- High Priestess’ Signet, The Stonecore
- Finkle’s Twinkle, Blackrock Caverns (Alliance only)
- Red Dragonheart Ring, Twilight Highlands
- Eye of the Stars, Uldum
- Redistributed Signet, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Starscaper Signet, Deepholm (Horde version of item and quest)
- Sekhemet’s Seal, Uldum
- Signet of the Lookout, Abyssal Depths (Horde version of item and quest)
- Dusky Pearl Ring, Shimmering Expanse (Horde version of item and quest)
- Signet of Nascent Fire, Mount Hyjal?
Inscription profession not required.
- Tear of Blood, The Stonecore
- Talisman of Sinister Order, Uldum
- Harmlight Token, Twilight Highlands(Horde only)
- Mindfletcher Talisman, Mount Hyjal?
- Stonemother’s Kiss, Deepholm
- Book of Dark Prophecies, The Stonecore
- Heroic Book of the Well Sung Song, Deadmines (H)
- Heroic Captured Lightning, Vortex Pinnacle (H)
- Cannon Stabilizer, Uldum?
- Fine-Toothed Comb, Kelp’thar Forest
- Spearwarden’s “Lucky” Charm, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Azureborne Cloak, Grim Batol | Heroic
- Solar Wind Cloak, Halls of Origination | Heroic
- Periwinkle Cloak, Throne of the Tides (H)
- Shadow of Perfect Bliss, Vortex Pinnacle (H)
- Springvale’s Cloak, Shadowfang Keep (H)
- Stonebinder’s Cloak, Deepholm
- Cloak of Grand Leadership, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Corrupted Eggshell Drape, Uldum
- Ancient Beth’moran Cloak, Shimmering Expanse (Horde version of item and quest)
- Cloak of Cheerful Flowers, Mount Hyjal
- Gurgthock’s Garish Gorebat, Twilight Highlands
- Druidic Channeler’s Mace, Mount Hyjal
- Geomancer’s Mace, Deepholm
- Sambino’s Old Hammer, Shimmering Expanse
- Clam Shucker, Shimmering Expanse (Horde version of item and quest)
- Glyphtrace Ritual Knife, Mount Hyjal?
- Salhet’s Ornate Dagger, Uldum
- Battle Tome, Mats
- Book of Blood, Mats
- Divine Companion, Mats
- Dungeoneering Guide, Mats
- Lord Rottington’s Pressed Wisp Book, Mats
- Skyflight Beacon, Twilight Highlands (Horde version of item and quest)
- Bottled Neurons, Abyssal Depths
- Broken Emergency Brake, Deepholm
- Claw of Corroded Hope, Mount Hyjal
- Shining Scorpid Eye, Uldum
- Soul Releaser, Halls of Origination | Heroic
- Staff of Siphoned Essences, Grim Batol | Heroic
- Heroic Cerith Spire Staff, Throne of Tides
- Heroic Emberstone Staff, Deadmines (H)
- Staff of Isolation, Shadowfang Keep (H)
- Very Manly Staff, Twilight Highlands
- Spire of Defiance, Deepholm
- Ihsenn’s Staff of Terror, Uldum
- Officer’s Formal Baton, Uldum
- Breathpipe, Deepholm
- Heraldcall Censer, Mount Hyjal
- Medusoid Staff, Kelp’thar Forest(Horde only)
- Repurposed Twilight Staff, Mount Hyjal
- Staff of Post-Facto Preparation, Shimmering Expanse (Horde version of item and quest)
Deathknights have over the whole year or so they’ve been around gotten a rather bad rap. There overpowered, they destroy in pvp, they are a better tank than warriors, wah wah wah… Unfortunately for me and people like me however, Blizzard listened to these many comments like they normally do and brought down the nerf bat hard and swift a number of times over. This post, and a few others following, are going to be primarily focused on how to get the most out of your Deathknight– the one that you insist on playing even though Blizzard (and all the other players on your server) hate you.
Step One: Know what role you want to play and stick to it first.
As a deathknight you have all sorts of options, but like most other classes with options you have to pick one of them and stick too it furiously, almost obsessively. Like…so much that you drive other people in your guild a little nuts whenever you raid with them. Single target dps, multi target (or AOE) dps, and tank are your main 3 options. As wow is a game of math above and beyond however much roleplay or “fun” raiding you may like to do, there is really only one spec for every role, with a few specific talents that you can switch around slightly depending on the situation. For those of you reading this that think “Oh, I can just make it through with a home-brewed talent spec, picking and choosing what I like” I’m sorry to inform you, you’re wrong. Or at very least your not getting the most out of you deathknight. Blizzard is doing a good enough job on there own, we don’t need to help them nerf us.
You may have variations or disagree that other specs are great (I’m thinking specifically of those who stand behind a frost dps build /shudder). But without having to gear very specifically for your talent these are the tried and tested specs that I have made work and crunched numbers to ensure provide maximum benefit.
Now a very brief overview on gear. Wow has put in place my most and least favorite change of all time during one of there most recent patches. Heroics drop emblems of conquest. If you still need to be shown how to gear at 80 to get into Ulduar or ToC then there’s no help for you. Grind out heroics, get some pug experience in Naxx and OS if you think you need it and get those badges! Conquest gear is great and if you can pick up a cheap triumph (obtained from doing the daily heroics) piece or two during the process you’ll be even further ahead. I realize for most players this I old hat and I’m just retelling old news, but in the interest of being thorough I will occasionally mention things you’ve probably already heard about.
Next time I’ll delve into a few specific relics and their uses with each spec I’ve mentioned. Runeforging 101 and the do’s and dont’s of blowing your cooldowns in raids.
Thanks for coming back, hope to have more for you soon!